Thursday, August 31, 2006

Random... So Very Random Thoughts


Two more days without my assistant, the light at the end of the tunnel! Two jam packed days of office work followed by labor day weekend- three jam packed days of publishing, editing and newspaper work!

Princess was asleep on the couch when I got up this morning, VH-1 blaring on the TV. My first thought was to turn it off, but the remote control was not in the little basket provided for it. The easy thing would have been to walk the three steps to the TV and push the off button... "easy" is never the first way I solve a problem. I searched around the end table, crept around feeling for it on the floor, checked the computer desk, tore Pap's chair apart and then got distracted by some song by somebody named Fergy that was absolutely filthy. I can't believe kids are being exposed to that much implied sex at 5:00 in the morning! That song ended before I'd finished chastising the TV for broadcasting such garbage and was followed by something by Jessica Simpson and what looked like Eva Longoria - the actress from Desperate Housewives. I had to watch that whole thing to make sure it was Eva (I'm still not... sure) and then they played that sad break up song by Nick Lachey (who's from Ohio by the way) who was once married to Jessica. Normally, I wouldn't know even this much pop culture, but I live with a teenager. Puzzling over the sheer meanness of putting those two songs back to back - I remembered that the clothes I'm planning to wear today need to be put in the dryer.

On the way to the laundry room the cats reminded me their bowl was empty, by tag teaming my ankles nearly causing me to break a leg. I was jiggling the switch to try and get the kitchen light to come on so I could feed the little beasts when I heard the dog flying down the stairs, which means beat him to the front door to let him out or there WILL be a puddle somewhere. When I opened the door to let him out I caught sight of my car glistening with dew... I forgot to put the top up yesterday. That required a trip to the bathroom to get some towels, on the way back out I stopped to rearrange the honeysuckle vine that has become so overgrown you have to fight your way through it to get down the steps. I was tucking pieces in place when Ruger decided to chase the neighbors cat, barking like a crazy dog, so I had to run up the street and retrieve him then lecture the monster all the way back to the house. That's when I noticed that Pap wasn't up, and should have been on his way to work. By the time I got back downstairs I remembered I had e-mail to answer.

Several hours later, VH-1 is still blaring on the TV , and I've just remembered the clothes are still in the washer, the cats are still unfed, the honeysuckle is only half done and there are towels on the porch. Princess frequently says that I need a babysitter, perhaps she's right.

In other news... today is deadline day for Sandra Ruttan's book Suspicious Circumstances. I'll do one final look through, send it off for advanced reading copies, prepare the letters to send it out for review and then it's my partners baby to get it ready for publication.

Willow is getting moved to my write-it-now software for final edits, Pitch is languishing in a drawer. Updates to my website were started yesterday, messed up, and now need the attention of Dark Daddy to get things back on track. I have one more story to finish for the paper, half a book to finish editing for the business, final touchs on a speech I'm giving next week and payroll to do at the day job.

Not too bad, except that I have to accomplish all this naked, in a wet car, with two cats howling in my ear for food over some crap on VH-l.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. you paint such a vivid picture. I know the video your talking about but I cant imagin it blaring at 5am. The work of a good woman is never done.