Sunday, October 08, 2006

Funky Gurus


We don't have any streetlights. Normally once the sun goes down on my little patch of town its too dark to find the street from the sidewalk. Normally, our full moons are more yellow than white. At this time of year we rarely see the moon because of the cloud cover. But this year is different. The moon is so radiantly white you feel like you want to stagger toward it zombie style. It's bright enough that my street is never completely dark until well after midnight, everything just gets layered with a silvery gray color. I'm sure it is this very strange moon that rattled my brain cells sufficiently to invite my husband to go with me to see the Funky Gurus, instead of my friends who would appreciate them.

Papa Bear and I are two very different people. We've known that from day one, and most of the time it's no big deal. Keeps things interesting. His priorities in order of importance are: work, parents, family. Mine are: family, parents, work. He likes sports, sporting events, playing sports, listening to sports and reading about sports. I like everything except sports. The difficulty comes in finding activities we can do together. We both like food and roller coasters, neither of which he can fully enjoy any more because of diabetes and heart problems. We used to both like to go dancing...

The Funky Gurus are a cover band out of Dayton that play locally from time to time. The ultimate dance band, they are an adrenaline pumping rush! Unless you're attending the set with the great fun sucking vacuum that is Pap. Before the night had even started, I knew it would be the last time Pap and I went dancing. It's not that he doesn't try, but that his body is breaking down faster than mine.

The real dilema is balancing my need to do things and try things without leaving him to languish in his recliner, remote control in hand. We aren't even 50 yet, there's still so much to explore.

8 comments:

Dave said...

Yes the moon is particularly bright this side of the pond too. I read somewhere today that its 98% illuminated. Still at least going without street lights you are cutting down on light pollution. Have to have a torch handy if you're coming home from the pub.
Poor old Papa bear under 50 is young to be confined to the remote. I bet he is very frustrated not being able to do the things he wants too. I would.

Kat Campbell said...

Yeah, Dave, he is frustrated and unfortunately just giving up instead of fighting and listening to his doctors. Since he has youth on his side, maybe he'll get his head wrapped around what he needs to do and come out of it.

Sunflower Optimism said...

Kat, I love when the moon looks like a giant white pearl, glowing in the sky. A few years ago, 12/23/00, the moon was the closest it would be to earth for a long time - I remember I was stenciling my dining room, I was on a roll and didn't want to stop. I got done at about 3 am. I went into the backyard - it was lit up by the moon, almost looking like daylight. Amazing, i'll never forget it. I remember the date because it was the day one of my nephews was born.

As for Pap - gee, tough one. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with various things, rheumatoid arthritis, pre-diabetic, etc. Had a miserable couple of years, had my gym membership on medical freeze because i was in so much pain all the time. I went to check to see if I needed another doctor's note to continue the freeze. Kidding around, I asked if they had any gym classes for people over 70. They did! A "Silver Sneakers" program. I started it and I'm 50, but most of those 70+ members had me beat by a mile. But I kept going and am doing so much better. My pain is almost gone and I'm feeling like my "pre-diagnosed" self - plus I've lost weight, what a bonus! I have gotten to the point where I can take other non-senior classes - yoga, Pilates, Fitness Conditioning.

I recently read that exercise is very good for people with diabetes. Maybe going to a gym, or even regular walking is something you two can do together, if his doctors approve? I tell you the difference for me was night and day. My doctors always tell me, even when I'm in pain, "Just keep moving!" Sorry this was so long!

Linda@VS said...

I've noticed that same bright moon here in bayou country recently, Kat. Regarding the rest of your post, once in a great while I think about how nice it would be to have a man in my life who would enjoy sharing all the things I love. And then I remember that I was married twice. Neither of my husbands particularly wanted to do the same things I did, and I had to cook and clean for them besides. Maybe you can enjoy "being" with your husband and "doing" with your friends.

Kat Campbell said...

Sunflower - excellent advice. Ironically, he left work for the emergency room this afternoon, problems with that foot, so we won't be doing much of anything until after some surgery.

Velvet - That solution suits me!

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Speaking of moon and exploring, the most exciting thing is to go for a long walk in the moonlight. I hope Papa finds his get up and go...sometimes it goes then we have to find it again.

Jackie's Garden said...

Kat, good luck with that balancing act. In one way or another, I think we all have things like that to work out. Ultimately, we aren't responsible for our mates, and have to take care of ourselves.

Kat Campbell said...

My sentiments too GG and Jackie. I just can't sit and watch the clock tick. Maybe he'll miss me enough to hop on board and play along.